Some people (mostly men) have a hard time distinguishing what qualifies as a compliment and what doesn’t. Here’s a list of things that definitely are not a compliment.
- “You look beautiful without all that makeup.”
- “You don’t need to dress up, you look good in just jeans and a t-shirt.”
- “You don’t need to take off your clothes to be beautiful.”
- “You don’t need all that weave to be beautiful.”
- “You look so pretty with your hair straightened. You should do it more.”
- “I like it when you wear _____. It’s sexy.”
What do all of these things have in common? They’re insinuating that a woman should or shouldn’t do something because it’s pleasing to you. That’s not a compliment. That’s you trying to control what a woman does and doesn’t do. If you can’t see how that’s not a compliment, I can’t help you.